- a question asked in every household in the country:
synonyms: hunger – starvation – desire – appetite – crave
I got home last night with no desire to go back out to the grocery store. It snowed the day before. It was one of those nights you just want to stay in and hibernate. I decided to make dinner with what I had at home. I started rummaging through my fridge and panty.
I found 3 tomatoes, mushrooms, green onions and feta cheese in the fridge.
I found pasta, rice, couscous and quinoa in the pantry. I did not want to eat pasta again. I had some for lunch.
Looking at the fresh ingredients, I thought the mushrooms, green onions, and feta could go well together. I could make stuff tomatoes with this, but still needed something to absorb some of the liquid the tomatoes would release when cooking. I thought the quinoa would play that role.
Bingo! I have dinner.
Vegetarian Stuffed Tomatoes with Feta Cheese
Ingredients for 4 Servings:
~ 8 Medium Size Tomatoes [Good tasty tomatoes are hard to find in Minnesota in the winter. I used Minnesota grown Bushel Boy tomatoes]
~ ¼ cup of Quinoa
~ 2 Cups of Mushrooms
~ 1/3 cup of Feta Original
~ 2 Shallots
~ 1 Garlic Clove
~ 8 Small Green Onions [Use a little bit less if they are bigger]
~ 1 table spoon of Olive Oil
- Heat up water and cook the quinoa for 10 to 15 minutes. Drain excess water and keep aside.
- While quinoa is cooking, in a saucepan, heat olive oil, and sautéed onions, shallots and garlic for about 3 minutes.
- Add roughly chopped mushrooms, salt to taste.
- Slice the top of each tomato, remove the core and seeds. [For added taste, you can chop the tomatoes’ core and add to the mushrooms]
- Cook the mushrooms mixture until all liquid has evaporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix all stuffing ingredients including the Feta.
- Stuff tomatoes.
- Preheat oven to 375
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes
I was not sure how it was going to turn out, but I loved it. It took me about an hour from start to finish. Having basic ingredients in the house helps me be creative when faced with these situations.
I was thinking about challenging myself. Send me a list of ingredients, and let’s see if I can come up with a recipe for you. I think it could be fun [Hope I am up for this challenge]. Be kind with each other!