Is there such a thing as healthy pizza?
Many people will say no, but I say YES with this recipe using cauliflower.
I like cauliflower for its versatility. I’ve used it many times in recipe to replace ingredients that are high in carb. I used the cauliflower in this recipe to replace the pizza crust.
White Chicken-Spinach Pizza
Yield 15 mini-pizza
Ingredients for the cauliflower crust
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the Pizzas’ topping
- 2 oz. unsalted butter
- 1 shallots minced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 2 oz. tbsp. all purpose flower
- 1 cup heavy cream, warm
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme
Make the crust
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees F. Finely grate cauliflower into a bowl.
- Add eggs, half of mozzarella, parmesan, 2 tablespoons basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well. Form into small patties and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment baking paper. Patties will be wet. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes.
- Keep aside.
Prepare the toppings
- Finely minced shallots and garlic. In a large skillet, add butter and shallots and cook until shallots are transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds, then add flour and stir. Turn heat up to medium low and cook for a minute or two just to cook out flour taste.
- Slowly stir in warmed cream in a slow drizzle. Whisk constantly so lumps don’t form.
- Cook sauce until it thickens slightly, and add minced fresh thyme, salt and pepper.
Let sauce cool down.
Make the pizza
- Put one tablespoon of white sauce on each cauliflower patties.
- Top with chicken, spinach, sundried tomatoes and the remaining of mozzarella.
- Cook for 5 to 7 minutes
This is a great healthy meal to do before the Holidays.
I had leftovers in the fridge I was hoping to eat the following day for lunch. My best half came home and ate them all. He is not a big fan of leftovers, but he loved it. I believe it’s because it’s just good ingredients that taste better and are more fulfilling.